Monday, May 3, 2010

I Love Parents, Art Cards Also

My last post might have made it seem like I am anti-parent. This is absolutely not the case - I love parents. Parents entrust me with their greatest treasure: their children. I have been blessed with some of the most supportive classroom parents. My point was simply that there is a cultural trend--culture-wide, not just with parents--towards finger-pointing rather than problem solving.

Okay... what I really wanted to post about is a project I'm currently starting with my students. I have done it for three years running now, and it always breeds enthusiasm for history! As a build-up to a huge end-of-the-year research/art project, I have the students troll through their textbooks and find ten historical people who interest them. I'm not interested in why; it could be that the picture in the book looked cool or that they liked that, "the guy was holding a sword." Whatever - they just choose based on their interest.

The next step--the focus of this post--is that they make Historical Person Trading Cards. There is a movement within the art world for Artist Trading Cards; I actually didn't know about that before this year. I was going off of baseball cards, Pokemon cards, Star Wars cards, etc. The class collectively decides on ten facts that each card should include. Usually, they arrive at the basics (DOB/DOD, etc.), plus some interesting side categories.

Tonight's assignment: each student will create a rough draft of a Historical Person Trading Card. The twist is... they are the historical person featured on the card...

No comments:

Post a Comment